Parents & Legal Guardians

If your child (born 2004 or later) is under 18, you must open the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for them. To open the RESP you will need:
- Valid Photo ID
- Social Insurance Number for yourself
- Social Insurance Number for your child

If you already have them, you can book an appointment with any financial institution and ask them to apply for the CLB on your behalf.

If you need support in getting those documents, we can help! Contact us.

Am I ready to apply for the CLB?

To qualify for the CLB, you need to:
- have filed your taxes at least once from the time your child was age 0 -15
- have received the Canada Child Benefit during that time
- ensure your IDs are up to date (not expired & with your current address)

Both Community Financial Counselling Services & SEED Winnipeg can provide support for low income families to get taxes filed for free.